The perfect CV does exist and it is also very attainable, all you need is a little bit of patience and time to work on it. If you’re wondering why should you dedicate your time to build a great CV, the answer is easy. An excellent resume can help you achieve career goals, secure your dream job, and even help potential clients or partners decide if they want you on their team. Here is a small guide on how to create an excellent CV with the help of printable resume templates and many other tricks:
Why should you use printable resume templates?
CV templates are pretty much like the package of the product, it can convince you to buy it, it represents the product and it can make the product easier or harder to use. This is the case of templates. They can convince someone to read carefully your resume, they represent your CV, and they can make it easier or harder to read or understand.
Word resume templates are the best thing when it comes to building your CV. They are easy to edit and you’ll be able to choose the right one for each job you apply for. If you are applying for a very creative job, a creative template, that stands out will catch the attention of the recruiters for sure. For corporate jobs, in domains like finance or law, simpler templates are desirable, as your experience will speak for itself. Still, no matter what job you apply for, how your resume looks it is very important for recruiters.
Why should you choose resume templates and not just write your CV in Word? Not everyone is good at design and achieving a great resume it’s more than just writing sentences in Word. A good template will give structure, make it easier to read, and attract potential recruiters to pay attention to it.
Also, a template may boost your creativity and encourage you to dedicate time and energy to writing your CV, while saving you time. You can use the time you’d have spent on designing the document on actually writing it the best way you can.
Bonus: a printable resume template can be used in pdf, word, Adobe Photoshop, and many other programs and it will also look amazing when printed.
Which template suits your CV best?
Fortunately, you can choose from a great variety of resume templates, depending on the job you apply for. Here a small list of examples:
- Creative resume templates. This works best for jobs in PR, Marketing, Advertising, Architecture, or Arts. Creative templates can feature unique fonts, a bigger space for your picture, and a beautiful arrangement of your portfolio. When choosing a creative resume template don’t be afraid of choosing one that features a bold color combination, as it can really make your CV stand out.
- Simple resumes. Generic and simple resume templates are perfect for those that have lots of experience and are counting on that. They are also suitable for corporate jobs, in domains like Human Resources, Finance, or Banking. Don’t mistake a simple resume template with a resume that you could have written yourself in Word, because that’s not the case. Simple resume templates feature neutral colors, diagrams, pie charts, and a good structure for the Work Experience and Education fields.
- Stylish resume templates. These are the best choice if you want to secure a job which requires you to completely stand out. For example, a job for the coolest fashion magazine. They can feature great color combinations, unique charts and display your previous work to make it look more appealing.
What is the correct structure of a resume?
The correct structure of a resume really depends on the job you’re applying for, but some general rules do exist:
- Use short sentences and don’t use too many adjectives. Simply put, make sure you express your points short and sweet.
- Don’t lie !!! That applies to every single resume out there. Never lie in your resume because human resource professionals will find out almost every time and this way you’ll only manage to never get the job.
- Never miss the essential fields. You should always include in your resume information about your education, work experience, past projects, hobbies, and foreign languages that you speak.
- Add your photo. A resume without a photo will always leave the impression that something is missing. Don’t get that wrong, recruiters don’t want to see your photo to evaluate your beauty, but to associate all the information they read about you with a person. This way you’re easier to remember.
Should you adapt your CV to every job you apply for?
The short answer is yes. You will always stand out if you choose to adapt your resume for every job you choose to candidate for. This is not at all hard to do. You can add a short letter of intent for every job, consisting of a few words on why you think the position is a match for you. For example, if you apply for a call center job, you can write about how your past experiences of working with people have shaped you, how you have acquired patience and work ethics through volunteering and the foreign languages you speak. Of course, this is just an example, but you can always choose to use your own past experiences as an asset when applying for a job.
To make your CV great again all you need is a few hours to spare, an adequate template, and patience. Use a printable resume template to your advantage and use all the tools it provides, like diagrams or portfolio structure to present your experience, education, skills, or previous projects. Don’t forget to add a short letter of intent and always update your contact info, it would be a shame if you’re contacted for the dream job on a phone or email that you no longer have. Good luck with building the perfect CV!